The Old Log Church, a history
The Old Log Church is the oldest building in Whitehorse on its original site. The church and rectory were built in 1900 by Reverend Richard Bowen. This was done at the behest of Anglican Bishop Bompas who was concerned about the lack of a place of worship for the then-new community of "White Horse."
Over the years, this quaint log structure has served as the center of worship in Whitehorse and as a social gathering place for community members and visitors alike, such as the army personnel who were stationed here while building the Alaska Highway. In the 1980’s, it was also known as St. Simons and attended by a First Nations congregation.
It became the diocesan cathedral in 1953 and remained as such until the new cathedral, which shares our grounds, was opened in 1960. In 1962, the Old Log Church became a museum and, in 1978, was declared a Territorial Historic Site. In 1982, the Yukon Church Society was formed to restore and preserve the building and operate the Old Log Church Museum.